Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Niagara Adventure

We recently spent a day with the children in Niagara.  After enjoying a scenic drive through Niagara on the Lake, we began the day at Queenston Heights with a climb up the Brock Monument, all 235 steps (50m high).  When I say "we", I really mean everyone in our family climbed except yours truly, because I do not like small tight spaces.  I went around the gorgeous grounds and captured some nice pictures, including the butterfly below.

It was awesome weather for a hike.  Rick and I had promised the kids we would hike the Niagara Gorge, like we try to do every summer, so we finally made it there with just over a week of summer holidays left.

We were hoping to reach our favourite spot along the river.  It's a place where you can watch the jet boats and it is an area where the river's edge indents and it is so calm that you can actually wade in the shallow water.  For some reason we must have taken a different turn in the trail and we ended up at a completely different location.  We did get to enjoy the entertainment of the jet boats, but the kids were determined to find the place along the river where we usually go.  Obviously there was only one thing to do...FIND IT!  Before I knew it, everyone started hiking along the edge of the river along the rocks, attempting to find "our spot." 

Well we climbed over rocks....and more rocks....and more rocks....for at least an hour.  I think it was relayed to mom a few times..."Oh, I think it's right around the next bend!" 
I was thinking in the back of my mind, as I was so nimbly scaling the rocks..."I hope we don't have to go back the same way we just came..."

We never did find the place that we were looking for.  That being said, David had a grand time being the leader, (much too fast for mommy who was trying to be VERY careful so as not to break anything), and he thought it was the best ever.  Levi was not quite so thrilled about all the rock climbing (he would have preferred to stay on the trail), but the girls also enjoyed the adventure, especially the opportunities for some great pictures.

Eventually we found our way to a trail and we hiked our way back up to the top.  All in all, God blessed us with a beautiful day.  It's one I'm sure we'll all remember for a long, long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...